Sunday, November 27, 2011

Jingle Door Bells, Two Ways





I love the sound of jingle bells.  It's a sure sign that Christmas is on the way.  I mean, there were bells on Bobtail, and bells when angels get their wings.   Definitely Christmas.   

I have a set of bells for my front door, but they have seen much better days.  Kinda sad, not happy jingles.   Anyway, I wanted a new set of bells that was updated and more my style.  I wanted them to be sturdy with a 4 and a half year old and puppy running around.  However, being a working mom, I wanted something quick and easy.   I figured I try this craft using two methods; sewing and hot glue.  This is what I came up with:





I really love how they came out and they make me super happy!

Here are the details for the sewed version. 

The supplies; fabric, ribbon, a key chain loop, and bells.


From the fabric, cut 2 rectangles 18 inches long and 4 inches wide.  Flip over the pieces so that the pattern is facing eachother (right sides in).
        

Sew the long sides of the rectangle, turn the sleeve right side out with your fingers, and iron flat.

 

Take each end and fold it once and iron flat then fold again and iron.  It should look like this when done.

















Loop your bells through the key chain.  I wanted a total of 4 for the finished project, but wasn't able to sew with all, so I started with 3.   Next, loop the bottom of the fabric through the key chain and sew.  

 



For the top of fabric, just sew along bottom of the fold to create a pocket.  Cut your ribbon to length and thread through the pocket.   Then embellesh as you like.  I added these cute fabric flowers I made a few months ago.  I also added the fourth bell for a fuller look.  




 Lastly, add it to your door.  Isn't it pretty!!! 
  
 




For the hot glue version, I used wide ribbon instead of fabric and hot glued where I sewed above.  Easy Peasy.  The possibilities are endless.  All sorts of ribbon and embellishments, make it shorter, longer, multileveled, whateve's.













Photobucket